Friday, July 8, 2011

Why Cup of Daisies?

Why Cup of Daisies you ask?

  A poem in the book titled, "Cup Of Daisies: Poetry and Paintings" by Kenneth Wyatt; took my breath, and at once I knew this was to be the basis of my heart and outpouring in my blog.  Please enjoy.


Cup of Daisies
by:Kenneth Wyatt

Today on the street in the old part of town.
I spied an ol' beggar with head hung down.

Gloom was his partner - it was plain to be seen.
And the clothes that he wore would never be clean.

Holes in the elbows, the knees, and the seat,
There were two kinds of shoes that misfit his feet.

The frown was frozen on the face that was lined,
Plus a long clack rag round his eyes that were blind.

No glimmer of hope 'bout the man could I see,
Not even in the hand he reached out to me.

The old tin cup caught the sun on its rim;
Its emptiness showed that pickins were slim.

Into that cup I dripped a coin or two,
Catching a mumble of a grumpy "thank you."

That would have been all of the story that time
'Bout me and a beggar and a nickel and dime,

But fate stepped up with his bag full of tricks,
For up the street a lady strolled a lady of six.

With face all aglow, blue eyes shining bright,
Dressed all starched and ironed just right,

Ribbons reached down in circles and swirls,
A crown of daisies entwined in her curls.

Happiness abounded - in life not a care-
Her eye then touched on the beggar out there.

Young hearts melt fast, and then, so to do,
From her hair she pulled a white daisy or two.

Softly she placed them in the battered tim cup;
Instantly the old beggar's head lifted up.

Though blind in darknes, I knew he could see
That child standing there in full sympathy.

She patted the gnarled hand, not making a sound.
From the faded black rag, a tear splashed down.

They parted then - now their hearts were as one-
But the truth was clear with what had been done.

The cup rattled louder; it had a new sound.
I walked away with something I'd found.

Let me say it so you'll recall it sometime,
"The love that she gave...beat a nickel and dime."





You, my brothers, were called to be free. But do not use your freedom to indulge the sinful nature ; rather, serve one another in love.  Galatians 5:13
"But Jesus called the children to him and said, "Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these."  Luke 18:16


Keep your lives free from the love of money and be content with what you have, because God has said, "Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you."  Hebrews 13:5

No comments:

Post a Comment