Sunday, July 24, 2011

Disaster Averted!


Yesterday, William decided he wanted to make everyone breakfast, toast with Nutella. I love that he likes to do these little tasks, and gets great joy by serving others.
As I walked into the kitchen this morning this was the conversation....
William: "Mom, can you open the Nutella for me?"
Seeing everything out, toaster, stack of bread, knife, and nutella... I said, "William, I thought you were going to toast the bread."
William: "I am, I just need to get the nutella open."
At that moment I realized exactly what William was asking me to do... Open the Nutella, so he could put it on the soft fresh bread, and then stick it in the toaster... YIKES!
William's how-to was a bit different than mine; I quickly thanked the Lord that I caught this, and redirected William to use the toaster first and the Nutella second. Such a small choice that would have had a much different outcome. A messy & broken outcome, which would have left William feeling disappointed.

As I was thinking about this a little later, I started to realize how truthful this fact is. Order is so important, but so many times,  we try to rush ahead and do things on our own timetable. Fortunately, We have a Heavenly Father who knows we will mess up, and even allows us to mess up, and learn from our mistakes.  However, we also have a heavenly father that gives us instruction so we don't have to experience those disappointments.
I am glad William chose to listen to my guidance that morning and follow a more direct, safe choice to have breakfast.  Unfortunately, too often I find myself at the crossroads of a decision, and not heeding the warning I force myself to learn the hard way, through frustration and disappointment. Thankfully we have a God that also extends his hand of Grace and Mercy to us through out own selfishness and ignorance.
Proverbs 1: 8-9
8-9 Pay close attention, friend, to what your father tells you;
   never forget what you learned at your mother's knee.
Wear their counsel like flowers in your hair,
   like rings on your fingers.


Thank you Father for your Guidance, Love, and Protection.  Thank you for helping us avert disasters as we walk through life as your children,

No comments:

Post a Comment