Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Christian Sisters: We are designed to need each other!


Yesterday I was watching a TV reality show and the comment was made, "I can't mess up, everyone is just watching, hoping, and waiting for me to fail.  No one likes a success story!"

It broke my heart and instantly resonated with me.  How many times have we been in a group, shared a victory in our life to only be doubted and shot down, or one upped by a so called friend?  I know it has happened to me on numerous occasions. Sometimes by complete strangers and unfortunately sometimes by those very close to me.  I have to admit I've been on both ends of this situation, and it stinks either way! And it stinks so bad, because that is not how we are designed, it's not what we are here for, we are not here to be in competition, but to encourage and support each other. 
"And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. Let us now give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another -- and all the more as you see the Day approaching"  Hebrews 10:24-25

There is a resounding message and movement among the Christian community right now that screams biblical truth about the relationship that women are designed to have.  Here are a few that have resonated with me...

 ***There are some times that we will not succeed and will not be at our best. However, this is not a time to jump ahead of our sisters and leave them behind, instead this is a time to reach down and lift one another up in our Precious Lord's name! --" Therefore if you have any encouragement from being united with Christ, if any comfort from his love, if any common sharing in the Spirit, if any tenderness and compassion,  then make my joy complete by being like-minded, having the same love, being one in spirit and of one mind. Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit. Rather, in humility value others above yourselves, not looking to your own interests but each of you to the interests of the others." Philippians 2:1-4 

***Older must teach the younger!  This is a great responsibility for both sides. Older women must seek out younger women with a heart of Christ,  being willing to be honest, loving, and truly wanting more for their young counterpart. Which also means that younger women must have an open heart to accept the wisdom and sometimes hard truths that we all need to hear; knowing that the information is coming from a place of love and meant to help in our success and influence as Christian women. --Titus 2:3-5 (below)

***Lead by example!  From body image talk, to calm (NON DRAMATIC) reactions, to truly celebrating in an other's successes.  We are representing our families, our churches, and most of all Our Heavenly Father! --"Teach the older men to be temperate, worthy of respect, self-controlled, and sound in faith, in love and in endurance.  Likewise, teach the older women to be reverent in the way they live, not to be slanderers or addicted to much wine, but to teach what is good.4 Then they can urge the younger women to love their husbands and children, to be self-controlled and pure, to be busy at home, to be kind, and to be subject to their husbands, so that no one will malign the word of God."  Titus 2:3-5

While writing this post situations and people from my past keep popping up in my mind. There are so many things that I have handled with horrible scowls, and little to no mercy or grace.  So many times l dialogue turned selfish and jealous of a fellow sister in Christ.  But I  do try hand to keep myself in check and keep Christ as the center of my thoughts. I am so thankful for the grace and mercy in which my Savior embraces me; especially during those times of weakness and worldliness.  

Do you struggle with similar situations?  What do you do to keep yourself focused on Christ purpose in your life as a Christian woman?

No comments:

Post a Comment