Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Grace in the Eyes of a Child

Today, The job to be accomplished was folding my families weight in laundry.  In the midst of feeling swamped with a never ending stream of freshly dried cloths, my dearest three year old boy came in with a "can do" attitude and a glimmer in his eye asking to "help mommy".  At first my heart melted...how sweet, he wanted to help mommy... and then instantly I cringed

as pile,

upon pile,

upon pile, 

of neatly folded clothes where jumped on, tossed aside, and literally strung across the bed, as he grabbed for a single pile of washcloths in the middle of the bed. I wish I could say that I calmly picked up the clothes spoke calmly, and led by example what to do when frustration hits...or rather, not let sweet Brennan know I was frustrated at all and guided him to put the washcloths away and thank him for his help and servants heart.



Unfortunately,that was not the case.  As I yelled, NO! Brennan, Stop! I watched as his face full of innocents, joy, and good intent fell with confusion, and tears welled in his eyes as he turned and ran from my room.  My heart sunk, I had done it again, acted rash in the midst of a frustrating moment. Shown no grace towards a sweet boy.  A moment I would never get back; a feeling I could not take away.

As I picked up the clothes and began to fold them back, I  prayed asking for forgiveness and grace; and headed to Brennan's room to apologize.  Before I could say a thing, I found that grace. Brennan looked up at me with his big blue eyes, shining bright and said, "Mommy, I'm sorry. Can we still do that?  What can I help you with mama? ".

At that moment I was reminded again of the quickness and eagerness in which forgiveness and grace should come. And he said: “Truly I tell you, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven." Matthew 18:3



 I scooped him up in my arms, and apologized for yelling and asked for forgiveness, which was instantly given, even before I asked.  Then tried to explained to him why I needed him to be patient and wait for mommy to help him.  He did such a "good" job of putting the towels away so neatly....

I am so loved! I am given so much Grace, from my husband, from my kids, and most of all from my God. Thank you Lord for Forgiveness, Mercy, and Grace, and thank you for showing me your faithfulness through the heart of a child.

Sisters, Does God show you his faithfulness through your children and people around you?  Is He constantly revealing His heart to you through your children's actions? Do you thank Him when He does? Please share your testimony and help encourage those mama's around you!!

2 comments:

  1. Ohh Audra I can't even begin to tell you how much I needed this. Tears just running down my face with conviction out of God's love for me behind them. Your an amazing mom thanks for sharing this.
    Desarae Cole

    ReplyDelete
  2. Desarae, We are never alone in our struggles! Thank you for sharing your conviction and ditto on the amazing mom comment! Love ya girl! Audra

    ReplyDelete