Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Is the toothfairy real?


Mythical Characters have always been a struggle for me. On one hand I feel like I am lying to my children, leading them away from Truth and morals that are weaved into my soul.  On the other hand, I don't want to steal away the innocents and magic of their childhood. There are too many other things in this world that will do that for me.

So far, we have taken the side to keep mythical characters, but not build them up...

We have kept Santa, but downplay his gifts and build up Jesus' birthday. 
We have kept Easter baskets on Easter Sunday, but side stepped actually verbalizing who supposedly brought the baskets.
   1267633

And now, William has his 4th loose tooth, and we are about to face the question again.... "Is the toothfairy real? "

Your probably wondering why I'm just now dealing with this question, and how I have gotten by the last three teeth with out having to answer it? Well it went something like this...

Tooth #1, William didn't really know the "tradition" is to put the tooth under your pillow and get $$ back, so we didn't really say anything.  Of course, the instant one person saw that he has recently lost a tooth they asked the question I had feared, "What did the toothfairy bring you?".  I cringed as the words came out of her mouth, and William turned around and shot me a look of inquiry. He instantly knew he had missed out on something, he just wasn't sure what.  We moved on through the store and by the time we got home, he had forgotten all about it.

Tooth #2, was lost during Christmas Vacation, and he literally lost it... It was such a non-issue to him, so we let that go by also. By the way, we never found that tooth. I'm sure it's floating around my parents house somewhere.

Tooth #3, was pulled one afternoon, a brief question about the alleged toothfairy was brought up, to which I responded, "I don't know what do you think?" He walked off to think about it, and never got back to me. We ended up leaving the tooth on the counter for 2-3 days, had a quick Science lesson on types of teeth, and... that's about it!

I have completely dodged the bullet!! But I know my time is coming.

Tooth #4, it is hanging on by a thread. And I know any day now it is going to fall out and I will again be faced with the question, "Is the toothfairy real?" 

We have decisions to make and quick!! We have a few ideas on how we would like to handle this in our family, but I'm curious to see what you think!

 If I call out one mythical character, does it mean an automatic out for all of them? 
Is it really even that big of a deal?

Do you follow traditions and let the magic live on? 
Do you flat out say it's not real and not participate in the myth?
 Do you tell your kids it's not real, but it is fun and do it anyways?  

How do you handle Mythical Characters with your kids, and Why?

2 comments:

  1. We've never told the kids mythical characters were real. It always bugged me because regardless of how I tried to sugar coat it, I was lying to my babies. I don't think they lose the magic of anything by knowing the truth. My children are plenty excited about Christmas presents without thinking they come from Santa. And we still watch Santa movies and visit him at the mall. It's still fun for them in the same way that watching Cinderella is fun even though she's not a real person. Christmas especially is such a magical time for even adults, and we know the truth about Santa.

    It's just extremely important for me to never have to answer, "why didn't you tell me the truth?" no matter how huge or tiny the lie. If there's an exception for Mommy, then I can guarantee they'll think there can be exceptions for them. So, in our house, mom and dad give Christmas presents, Easter baskets and they give $$ for teeth as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Audra,

    I love reading you. You're a wonderful mother and a beautiful writer.

    We celebrate the magic and fairytale and fun that is the bunny and santa and the tooth fairy.

    I grew up with that and for me, it was never an issue of it interfering with our Faith or belief. It was dealt with so brilliantly that all I remember of the discovery of them not being real was that it was a part of innocence and fun and magic of childhood. A tradition.

    We deal with it the same way. I hope and pray that my children and I, as a parent, have the same experience.

    My husband and I enjoy playing these parts and watching that sparkle in our children's eyes.

    We will never judge others for choosing differently and since we all live different lives, different walks.... I don't see any of it as lying, being truthful, breaking tradition etc.... I just see it as parenting to the best of our abilities and being truthful to our own walks ;-)

    Wonderful post xo

    ReplyDelete