Friday, May 13, 2011

Get Organized!!


With a new business, homeschool, general paperwork, coupons, and, and, and.... Sometimes I feel like I'm swimming in paperwork that I have no idea what to do with.  I find myself moving stacks from here to there and back again, never quite knowing how to organize/handle all the "stuff" that I had collected.

Well about a week ago a professional organizer came and spoke to our homeschool group and here is the method that she recommended for immediate organization for paperwork. She used a stack able drawer system much like the one found here...


Each drawer was labeled


Take Action (address in 2-3 days)
To Calendar
Bills to Pay
Hold for 30 days (can hold on to this for a month, then it must be taken care of or thrown away)
Business Stuff
To Be Filed


A few other tips that were shared where...
  1. Make sure you are passing some age appropriate jobs to your children. This is not only a way to help yourself, but starts a legacy of put together/clean homes for your families future.
  2. Start with baby steps. Don't overwhelm yourself with a master organization plan. Instead, start with one drawer, one shelf, one closet, one room... As you go, your will notice huge changes from the baby steps you are taking.
  3. Stay in one area at a time.  While you are taking baby steps in one room, make sure to assure your success with three simple boxes.  Each labeled (Donate/Sale, Belongs Elsewhere, Trash). By implementing these simple boxes, you don't find yourself distracted and jumping from one room to another.
  4. Remember to stick with it. Spend 5-10 minutes every evening placing things back in there forever home.  That way you don't have to go through the entire process again, next year!
  5. Use products, like baskets, plastic boxes, or my favorite... Large Utility Totes from Thirty-One Gifts  to group like products and create "forever" homes for your belongings.


Start now and stick with it!! Your home, attitude, stress level and life will drastically change! I think we are all nicely surprised when we accomplish the task of organizing! I have to tell you I'm a bit of a self proclaimed organizer, so if you have any questions or need help brainstorming on any problem areas of your home, I would be happy to help, just shoot me a comment or email me at  m.a.caldwell@hotmail.com


Happy Homemaking Everybody!!

No comments:

Post a Comment