With a new business, homeschool, general paperwork, coupons, and, and, and.... Sometimes I feel like I'm swimming in paperwork that I have no idea what to do with. I find myself moving stacks from here to there and back again, never quite knowing how to organize/handle all the "stuff" that I had collected.
Well about a week ago a professional organizer came and spoke to our homeschool group and here is the method that she recommended for immediate organization for paperwork. She used a stack able drawer system much like the one found here...
Each drawer was labeled
Take Action (address in 2-3 days)
Bills to Pay
Hold for 30 days (can hold on to this for a month, then it must be taken care of or thrown away)
To Be Filed
A few other tips that were shared where...
- Make sure you are passing some age appropriate jobs to your children. This is not only a way to help yourself, but starts a legacy of put together/clean homes for your families future.
- Start with baby steps. Don't overwhelm yourself with a master organization plan. Instead, start with one drawer, one shelf, one closet, one room... As you go, your will notice huge changes from the baby steps you are taking.
- Stay in one area at a time. While you are taking baby steps in one room, make sure to assure your success with three simple boxes. Each labeled (Donate/Sale, Belongs Elsewhere, Trash). By implementing these simple boxes, you don't find yourself distracted and jumping from one room to another.
- Remember to stick with it. Spend 5-10 minutes every evening placing things back in there forever home. That way you don't have to go through the entire process again, next year!
- Use products, like baskets, plastic boxes, or my favorite... Large Utility Totes from Thirty-One Gifts to group like products and create "forever" homes for your belongings.
Start now and stick with it!! Your home, attitude, stress level and life will drastically change! I think we are all nicely surprised when we accomplish the task of organizing! I have to tell you I'm a bit of a self proclaimed organizer, so if you have any questions or need help brainstorming on any problem areas of your home, I would be happy to help, just shoot me a comment or email me at email@example.com
Happy Homemaking Everybody!!